Mouth and throat antiinflammatory, antitussive, Expectorant.
Licophar lozenges are consumed every 6 hours for three days.
Side effects : Consumption of high doses for prolonged periods may cause hyperaldosteronism and sodium and water retention which may lead to temporary hypertension and hypokalemia .
Contraindication : This product is not recommended for hypertensive patients .
Warning : Because of high sugar content in this product, diabetic patients should take it with caution.
Pregnancy and Lactation: Avoid in pregnancy. In lactation, use with caution.
The active ingredients in each lozenge are :
Glycyrrhiza glabra 51.2 mg . Eucalyptus essence 1.07 mg .
Dry extract of Capsicum annum 0.14 mg
Glycyrrhizin (0.6 -10) Flavonolded, isoflavonoids and Triterpene saponins .
A significant anti inflammatory effect has been demonstrated for glycyrrhitinic acid which is found in glycyrrhiza . Eucalyptol which is present in eucalyptus oil has expectorant and antimicrobial properties ,and is more active against gram positive bacteria . Capsicum is effective in the prevention of throats mucosal irritation , it is also able to decrease the inflammation of lung mucosa . Licophar has soothing and demulcent effects on the mouth ulcer and inflammatory conditions .
1. Fugiita .H et al ; Antiinflammatory effect of glycyrrhytinic acid: Pharmacometrics (1980) ; 19:481 - 4.
2. itscher LA et .al ; Antimicrobial agents from
higher Plants. Antimicrobial isoflavonoids and related Substances from Glycyrrhiza glabra. JNat
.Prod . (1980) ; 43:259-69.
3. imura Y et.al ; Effects of chalcones isolated from Licorice roots on Leukotriene biosynthesis
in human polymorphonuclear neutrophils .
Phytotherapy Res (1988) :2;140-5.
4. nque H.et.al ; Pharmacological activities of glycerrhytinic acid derivatives :Analgesic and
anti-type IV allergic effects .Chem Pharm Bull . (1987) ; 35:3888-93 .
5. Pomperi R .et.al ; Antiviral activity of glycyrrhizic acid .Experientia (1980) ; 36 : 304 .
6. artindale 34; The Complete Drug Reference (2005); vol 2. p. 1270 .