Tranquilizer , Hypnotic .
One to two capsules per day .
Side effects: There has been no reported side effect to Valerian .
Contraindications: The documented CNS depressant activity of Valerian may potentiate the existing sedative therapy .
Pregnancy and Lactation : Safety of valerian during pregnancy and lactation has not yet been established and should therefore , be avoided .
Each capsule contains 530 mg dried rhizome / root of Valeriana officinalis . Constituents : Alkaloids : Valerine , Valerianine , isovaltrate , and Valtrate .
Volatile oils . and - pinene , camphene , borneol , eugenol , isoeugenol , - bisabolene, caryophyllene , valerenol , valerianol , and valerenic acid. Other constituents : Caffeic and chlorogenic acids .
In the animal studies, sedative properties have been documented for valerian which have been attributed to both the volatile oil and valepotriate fractions . Further studies showed that valerenic acid acts as a general CNS depressant similar to phenobarbitone . Biochemical studies have documented that valerenic acid inhibits the enzyme system responsible for the central catabolism of GABA(3). Increased concentration of GABA are associated with a decrease in CNS activity and this action may , therefore , be involved in the reported sedative activity of valerenic acid . Valernal and valerinic acid are the most active sedative components of valerian (1,2). A number of documented studies have described a sedative effect for valerian in human. Valerian has been reported to be more effective than diazepam in treating symptoms of anxiety , given to 100 patients for two weeks in a double blind trial (4) .
1. Herdricks H. et al . Pharmacolgical screening of valerenal and some other components of essential oil of Valeriana officinalis . Planta Med .1981; 42:62 – 80 .
2. Wagner H et al . Comparative studies on the sedative action of Valeriana extracts . Planta Med . 1981 : 39 : 358 – 365 .
3. iedel E. et al . Inhibition of amino butyric acid catabolism by valerenic acid derivatives . Planta Med 1982 ; 48 : 219 – 20.
4. Leath Wood PD et al . Aqueous extract of Valerian root improves sleep quality in man . Pharmacol Biochem Behav 1982 ; 17: 65 – 71.
5. alderere G , Borbely AA. Effect of Valerian on human sleep . Psychopharmacology 1985 ; 87 : 406 – 9 .