Galactogogue(Promotes milk production in nursing mother)
One capsule three times a day after meals.
No side effect has been reported so far .
Other therapeutic effects :
Many of the constituents of herbs in Shirafza capsule are very useful in digestive disorders and can prevent and treat indigestion , morning sickness dyspepsia , and flatulent colic .
Sensitive individuals to medicinal plants should take Shirafza with caution.
Each capsule of shirafza contains :
120 mg hydroalcoholic dried extracts of the following medicinal plants (3:1 ratio) .
1-Foeniculum vulgare 60mg.
2- Cuminum cyminum 24mg.
3- Trigonella foenum - graecum 24mg.
4- Anethum graveolens 12mg.
Anethole , fenchone , estragole , organic acids , stilbene , plant sterols ( beta – sitosterol ) .Thymol , cymen , pinen ,gamma terpenes , cuminaldehyde. gentianine, diosgenin, trigonellin, choline ,flavonoids .( flavon apigenin , luteolin ,orientin ,vitexin , quercetin ), saponin . carvon , limonene , furanocoumarin .
Boxes of 30 capsules
Standardized on the basis of 2.1 microliter Anethol at each capsule.
It has been recommended that the herbs which stimulate the milk production such as fenugreek seeds , cumin seeds , Fenel seeds should be added to the diet of lactating women (1)
It has been shown that Fenugreek is an appetite stimulant (2) which has a double actions in Shirafza products (1)
increases the appetite of nursing mother (2)
promotes milk secretion and flow .There are many reports that Anethum graveolens , Trigonella foenum – graecum , Foeniculum vulgare and Cuminum cyminum all are galactogogue ( 2,3,4,5)
Anethole one of the constituents of Foeniculum vulgare is an estrogenic compound that has demonstrated a favourable influence on the total quantity of milk and its fat content in goats (6)
Extracts of fennel can induce oestrus ,cause growth of mammary glands and oviducts in adult ovariectomized rats and exert an antiandrogenic effect in adult male rats (7). The clinical trials in human has demonstrated the efficacy of Shirafza in increasing the production and secretion of milk in nursing mother(8)
The structural resemblance of anethole to catecholamines may have a bearing on the estrogenic activity demonstrated by Foeniculum vulgare.
Dopamine acts to inhibit the secretion of prolactin. So anethole may influence milk secretion by competing with dopamine at appropriate receptor sites ,thereby reducing the inhibition by dopamine of prolactin secretion (3).
The alkaloids of Anethum graveolens not only increase the milk production but along with other active constituent in act as an antiflatulent which fascilitates the expulsion of gas bubbles ( as flatuses or belching ) and therefore , relieve pain caused by excess gas in digestive tract.
Contraindications and cautions : Sensitive individuals to medicinal plants should take Shirafza with cautions.
1. B. Zinn : Supporting the employed breastfeeding mother. J . Midwifery and woman Health, vol 45 , PP . 216 – 226 . 2000.
2. Martindale 2000, vol 32 , PP 1579 .
3. S. Mills and K Bone : Principles and practice of phytotherapy . Churchill Livingstone , 2000 .
4. W. tang ad G . Eisenbrand : Chinese drugs of plant origin . Springer Verlage, 1992 PP 22 .
5. PDR for Herbal Medicine, Medical Economics company, 2000 , PP 1188 – 80.
6. Albert - Puleo M.: Fennel and anise as estrogenic agents ; J. Ethnopharmacol . 1980 ,Dec ; 2 ( 4) .: 337 – 44 .
7. Annusuya s , vanithakumari G , Megala N. : Ind . J .Med Res . 1988; 87: 364 – 367 .
8. Feiz J. and Moattar F: Formulation , Preparation and evaluation of medicinal plants on quality of human milk . Abst . Int Res Cong . on Natural Products . Chapell Hill , U.S.A PP. 193 , 1985 .